Subject: FW: Trying to help: Request for help from the Finnish Authority
From: "Justiitsministeerium"
To: "Justiitsministeerium"
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2024 19:46:16 +0200

From: Signe Viimsalu <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2024 8:28 AM
To: Jaan Lõõnik <[email-masked]>; Ilona Põld <[email-masked]>;
Aleksandr Logussov <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Cc: Pakarinen Jouni (KAM) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Trying to help: Request for help from the Finnish Authority
Importance: High

Dear Nere Niskanen

I am forwarding Your urgent questions regarding enforcement procedures and
potential forum shopping matters between Finland and Estonia regarding
natural persons bankruptcy proceedings (including release of debts under
Estonian legislation) to my other Estonian colleagues Mr Aleksandr
Logussov and Ms Ilona Põld at the Ministry of Justice of Estonia and to Mr
Jaan Lõõnik at Chamber of Bailiffs and Bankruptcy Trustees. They can help
You with Your questions.

Should You need an urgent Teams/Skype call to discuss the matters in more
detail, please do let us know.

Annex A = „pankrotimenetlus“, not „täitemenetlus“

It is academically debateble whether „kohustustest vabastamise menetlus“
(release of debts) as sub-procedure in „pankrotimenetlus“ for natural
persons is to be considered as part of Annex A of EU Regulation for
Estonia. I hope my colleagues in the Ministry of Justice know the exact
answer to that now.

Yours sincerely

Signe Viimsalu

Head of Insolvency Service

From: Niskanen Nere (UO) <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2024 2:51 PM
To: Signe Viimsalu <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Cc: Pakarinen Jouni (KAM) <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Request for help from the Finnish Authority
Importance: High

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Signe Viimsalu,

we have received your information from Senior Bankruptcy Lawyer Jouni
Pakarinen from The Office of Bankruptcy Ombudsman.

According to Mr. Pakarinen, you could possibly assist us in the
application of the Estonian Bankruptcy Law and answer a few questions that
have occurred in our enforcement procedures.

*  According to Article 20(1) of the Regulation (EU) on insolvency
proceedings (2015/848), the judgment opening insolvency proceedings shall,
with no further formalities, produce the same effects in any other Member
State as under the law of the State of the opening of proceedings. The
Insolvency Regulation is applicable, according to Article 1(1), to the
proceedings listed in Annex A.

Does this mean that the effects under the Insolvency Regulation apply only
to bankruptcy proceedings (pankrotimenetlus)? Accordingly, is the
applicable law from which the effects arise Estonia’s Bankruptcy Act
(pankroatiseadus)?

*  Or does the EU Insolvency Regulation also make the legal effects of
other laws of the initiating country (e.g., täitemenetluse seadistik)
binding on other Member States?

*  Does the Estonian Bankruptcy Act provide a prohibition on enforcement
during bankruptcy or during the subsequent release procedure for an
individual?

*  Are there other restrictions under the Estonian Bankruptcy Act on the
enforcement of judgments in other countries, aside from those specified in
§ 174 of the Bankruptcy Act (pankroatiseadus) when a release procedure
following bankruptcy is ongoing?

*  The debtor entered into a release procedure after his bankruptcy on
July 20, 2021. When does the release procedure end? What are the options
for ending the release procedure?

*  How long do the effects of § 174 of the Bankruptcy Act remain in force
in a situation where the deadline of the release procedure has ended but
the debtor has not applied for the release or, if the debtor applies for
the release when the release period has already ended?

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Nere Niskanen

kihlakunnanvouti/ häradsfogde/ District bailiff

Special Enforcement Unit

Ulosottolaitos / Utsökningsverket/ National Enforcement Authority Finland

Postiosoite / Postadress: PL 1, 00067 Ulosottolaitos / PB 1, 00067
Utsökningsverket

Käyntiosoite: Sairashuoneenkatu 2-4, 20100 Turku

Besökadress: Lasarettsgatan 2-4, 20100 Åbo

Puh / Tel: 029 56 58540

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

Ulosottolaitoksen asiakaspalvelu / Utsökningsverkets kundservice puh /
tel: 029 565 8800

Virastoposti / Tjänstepost:  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]

Luottamuksellisuusilmoitus

Tämä sähköpostiviesti saattaa sisältää luottamuksellisia tai salassa
pidettäviä tietoja. Jos epäilet, että et ole tämän viestin tarkoitettu
vastaanottaja, pyydämme Sinua ilmoittamaan siitä välittömästi viestin
lähettäjälle ja poistamaan aineiston pysyvästi. Saamasi tiedon
julkaiseminen on kielletty ja sen käyttö lailla rajoitettu muilta kuin
tarkoitetulta vastaanottajalta.

Sekretessmeddelande

Det här meddelandet kan innehålla konfidentiell eller sekretessbelagd
information. Om du misstänker att du inte är avsedd mottagare av detta
meddelande, ber vi dig omedelbart meddela det till meddelandets avsändare
och permanent radera materialet. Det är förbjudet att publicera den
information du fått och den får inte användas av andra än den avsedda
mottagaren.

Confidentiality notice

This e-mail message may contain confidential or secret information. If you
suspect that you are not the intended recipient of this message, please
inform the sender immediately and delete the material permanently.
Publication of the information you have received is prohibited and its use
is restricted under law by anyone but the intended recipient.